Wednesday, May 9, 2007

About Work

Almost two weeks have passed since I began work and so far, it has been an enjoyable experience. Hours breeze through without a moment of yawning---rooms are never emptied and the phones don't tire from ringing. Appointments, ledgers, labs, account books and "toothaches"---my day in a dental clinic.

Receptionist, front desk officer, customer relations--title it as you please...one thing's for sure, without management skills, you're better off sitting at home watching HBO accompanied by chips.

I am one who used to look down, no, let's rephrase that,---who thinks these positions are an easy task. Not requiring much ability besides smiling and greeting. Perhaps it is in other businesses but not in the medical/dental areas---here, the demands are high. The responsibilities are tedious. A mistake and lack of information can be fatal. Multitasking is synonymous to the life and success of the clinic's day. Efficiency and quick thinking when unpredictable situations arise are a necessity.

We have 2 branches at the moment and a 3rd one is on the works. Located at the famous shopping places like Suntec City and Orchard Road, public transportation isn't a problem. A cab ride from Suntec would bring me home in less than ten minutes; whereas from Orchard, I prefer taking the reliable subway.

I've been based in both branches to get to know the dentists and their patients. Have learned a few things and terminologies in this field, too. I find it hard to believe that an old dog can still be taught new tricks. I thought maturity makes ones mind rusty ;-)



6 comments:

Unknown said...

hey mare, congrats! i didn't know you switched jobs...napaka-versatile mo talaga! anyway, i agree, old dogs can still be taught new tricks....pero teka, di ba kalabaw lang ang tumatanda??? hahaha muwah!

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

new job? congrats...madalaw nga kita dyan ^_^

uy my first job was a secretary/receptionist

marie said...

I agree with rhada na kalabaw lang ang tumatanda pero parang tumatanda ka na talaga kasi August na ang date mo e Msy palang ngayon.

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

pareho tayo, i was like that before too. (looking down...) well, until i experienced being one when i started as a receptionist dito sa office. sobrang demanding, ano?

anyway, congrats on your new job! ingat palagi and regards to the family... :)

Anonymous said...

Switching careers is always exciting...

TGIF!

Anonymous said...

kumare, balat kalabaw po hehe

girlie, whatever the job...i'm happy to have one lalo now!

ate marie, oo nga, ba't ba august ang nalagay ko bwehehe, minamadali ko yata ang aging process ko bwahaha

des, nice talking to you last night. ingat sila SAKIN :-)

linnor, yup it is.